- Where is Japan located on the world map
- General information about the country
- Geographical features
- Main islands of Japan
- Islands of the Inland Sea of Japan
- Islands of the Sea of Japan
- Islands of the Korea Strait
- Islands of the East China Sea
- Outer islands of the archipelago
- Ryukyu Islands
- Pacific Islands
- Islands in lakes
- South Kuriles
- Beach and swimming season
- Beach resorts in Japan
- A useful video about the Japanese islands
Numerous Japanese islands occupy little space on map of the world, but are distinguished by their unique geographic features. Currently, the country of the rising sun located on them occupies a leading world position in the economy and industry, and never ceases to amaze with its developments and achievements.
Where is Japan located on the world map
The Japanese islands on the world map are located in East Asia and are washed by Pacific waters. The island state occupies the space from the East China to the Sea of Okhotsk, and its southern part reaches about. Taiwan. The entire island group consists of 4 large and about 7 thousand small land areas.
The Land of the Rising Sun has no land border lines, and the total kilometer of the coastline is 29.9 thousand km. The economic zone of Japan goes deep into the ocean for 200 nautical miles, and the territorial space includes up to 12 miles.
General information about the country
Japan is an island Asian state, which is located on an archipelago consisting of more than 6.5 thousand islands. The four largest of the land areas occupy 97% of the entire territory of the state. About 98% of the inhabitants are Japanese.
|Total population||127 million|
|Capital and surrounding prefectures||38 million|
The capital of the Land of the Rising Sun is Tokyo. Japan is considered a constitutional monarchy, has a democratic system with unitary decentralization and occupies a leading position (3rd place) in nominal GDP. The exchange rate is not regulated by the state, it is set as a result of free trading. It has a high standard of living and its duration.
The state is divided into 47 prefectures, the largest of them is about. Hokkaido. Inside, divided territories are divided into districts and counties that have local governments. The main state language - the Japanese, traditional religion is synthism and to a lesser extent Buddhism.
Ports, 6 largest of them have important economic importance specializing in international transportation, trade and passenger flights.
Japanese Islands on the World Map have a unique location, because they extend to the layered volcanic archipelago with mountainous relief. Most of them have mountainous origins, many of them volcanic. The highest point of the country - Fujiima (3775 m), which is considered a sacred place.
Japan is located at the junction of tectonic plates, so volcanoes and earthquakes are a common phenomenon. Despite this, there are no large reserves of minerals.
The Japanese climate is characterized by moderation, 4 times of the year are clearly delimited. But the temperature indicators of the North and the South differ greatly, which is due to the winds. If we divide the island space on the climatic belt, then they can be divided into 6 zones. The rain period implies a large amount of precipitation, and there is a possibility of typhoons.
The main islands of Japan
the main islands of the archipelago, which occupy about 97% of the total territory:
Honshu with a length of about 1300 km. The total area of this section of the sushi is 228 thousand km2, which is 60% of the total value of the country. It extends the capital of the state of Tokyo. The terrain is mountainous, with many volcanoes, the main of them is the symbol of Power - Fujiima.
The largest river - Sinano. Climatic conditions Honsel are different - in the north of continental, and on the south side are noted as subtropical. This section of sushi by the coefficient of dense population appears on 2 positions in the world. It lives 103 million people.
It is still separated by 5 regions consisting of 34 prefectures. On other parts of the archipelago get through tunnels and bridges. Industrial production occupies an eastern island zone, and fishing fishery flourishes on Western.
Hokkaido on the world map can be seen in the northern part of the archipelago. By sea, it borders with Russia. Earth area - 83.4 thousand km2. This piece of land is sparsely populated, due to its recent development. The number of inhabitants is about 5.6 million people, most of whom live in the Sapporo agglomeration.
½ of the territory is occupied by valleys and mountainous terrain. The mountain range stretches in the center of the island from north to south. The climate in this zone is the most severe throughout the country. Summer time is characterized by coolness, and winters here are snowy. The routes of communication with Hokkaido are airliners and ferries.
The railway, buses and cars operate within the land plot.
Kyushu has a territory of 40.6 thousand km2and 12 million people live on it. It is dominated by mountainous terrain with volcanoes and seismically active zones. Plains are observed only in the northwestern and western regions. The climate in Kyushu is monsoonal and subtropical, with pronounced temperature changes and typhoons.
People get to other islands through several tunnels. Kyushu has a developed industrial sector and crop production.
Shikoku is the smallest of the main island four and has 18.8 thousand km2. Most of its territory is covered by mountainous terrain, and in a smaller area it is plains. The climate on this earthly firmament is subtropical and Mediterranean. Shikoku has a lot of forests and no volcanoes.
It is characterized by typhoons, during which a large amount of precipitation falls. Shikoku has a thriving agricultural and pulp industry. It is connected to other parts of the mainland by high-speed bridges and a ferry service.
International airports and railway companies operate here.
Islands of the Inland Sea of Japan
There are about 3 thousand islands in the Inland Sea of Japan, the most important of them are:
- Awaji with a size of 592 km2,is considered as the largest land area in the above sea. Connected to other parts of the archipelago by bridges. It is divided into 3 city cantons. The main activity of the population is agriculture.
- Sedoshima. It is administratively divided into 2 municipal districts, which are assigned the status of a village. Due to the fact that the Kankakoy natural gorge is located here, the zone is popular with tourists. The island became famous as the place where the Japanese first began to cultivate olives. Currently, there is an olive grove with a windmill. In 2010, Sedoshima was included in one of the locations where the festival of international creativity operates. There is also a pilgrimage route passing by 88 island shrines.
- Itsukusima is characterized by a high-lying relief and has an area of 30.4 km2. Population, about 2 thousand people. Lives in small settlements with simple buildings. The highest top of the land plot is M. Misen (535 m), it can be climbed by a cable car. On Izukushima year round picturesque nature and forbidden to chop trees. This land is considered sacred, it contains a large number of temples, one of them is included in the UNESCO list.
The island with an adjacent sea forms the National Park. With other parts of the archipelago there is a ferry connection.
The Islands of the Japanese Sea
in the Japanese Sea there are about 3 thousand large and small islands, most of them belong to the Japanese archipelago.
In addition to the 4 main islands, such names can be distinguished:
risirs with an area of 182 km2has volcanic origins. On the map it looks like the right circle, actually depicts a volcanic cone lowered into the sea. Tourists visit this land to raise to the top of Ricisiri-san (1721 m).
together with the adjacent to him about. Rabun in 1974 it is included in the national park. The two most important destinations of the employment of the population are fishing and tourism. Locals are traditionally engaged in harvesting sea cabbage. There is airport and daily run 3 ferries daily.
The structure of municipal transport is developed on risiri, the bicycle path captures half of the island territory.
Sado - 8th in size island in Japan. All its area (855 km2) occupies a city with the same name, 65 thousand people live in it. The terrain is divided into 3 zones: hilly, mountain and flat. Near the highest vertex of the city of Kimbokok (1172 m) the National Park extends. On this land in former times, political prisoners were sent.
at 16 V. Golden deposits were found in Sado.
OKI is an island group consisting of large 4 parts of sushi and 18 small islets near them are nearby. Formed in the Paleolithic Epoch after volcanic eruption. It is famous for the Links of political fraudsters. In 2004, Saiko with several villages formed Okinosim. The airport is running here.
The Islands of the Korean Strait
The main islands of the Korean Strait:
of Tsushim. It has a territory of 696 km2with a population of 34.5 thousand people. Until 1900Tsushima was an integral island, and is now actually divided by the Aso channel into 2 large land areas connected to one another by a bridge. The northern territory is called Kaminoshima, while the southern one is marked as Shimonoshima.
The Battle of Tsushima took place in this area in 1905. Here, production for the extraction and processing of seafood and fish, and the tourism industry are developed. In 2004, the city of Tsushima was formed through the merger of 7 settlements.
Iki is included in Nagasaki District. The main settlement on the island bears the same name. It has a volcanic origin and an area of 139 km2. Hot springs have been found on this land. Iki is characterized by mild climatic conditions, which is due to the Kuroshio current flowing nearby.
On about. Okinoshima, with an area of 0.97 km2, has a population of 1, who is appointed as the guardian of the temple. The sanctuary was erected in the southwestern island zone. The local population considers this place sacred. In 2017, Fr. Okinoshima is included in the UNESCO heritage.
Islands of the East China Sea
The Japanese islands on the world map are located in the East China Sea, the most significant of which are:
- Hirado with a territory of 163 km2 is divided by a strait with the city of the same name. A bridge connects them. The main craft of the locals is agriculture (cultivating mandarins, growing pearls and breeding beef cows).
- Goto. An island group extending to the west of the archipelago. It consists of 200 islands of different sizes. In medieval times it was the habitat of pirates. Now Christianity dominates here, fishing and tourism flourish.
- Hasima. Inhabited in 1810, after the discovery of coal on it. In the 30s. 20th century the land turned into an industrial center with mines and military enterprises. For some time this place was considered the most densely populated on earth. After the decline of production in 1974, the mines stopped their work and all the inhabitants left the city.
Plot about Hashima Ghost Island:
In 2015, Fr. Hasima is included in the list of World Heritage Sites. Now tourists are allowed to visit a specially equipped area for safe viewing.
Islands on the outer side of the archipelago
List of the main islands located on the outer side of the archipelago:
- Enoshima is a small piece of land of a volcanic formation. Included in the administrative district of Fujisawa, connected to the mainland by a bridge. here in 1964.a sports harbor was built for the Olympics. The regatta 2020 is planned to be held in Enoshima.
- Izu is an island chain of volcanic origin that is part of Tokyo. Located at a distance of 100-350 km from the Japanese capital. These scenic spots are included in the national park. Tokyo residents love to relax here, as well as people involved in water sports.
- Izuoisma (area 91 km2) is the largest in the Izu archipelago group. There is a Mihara volcano (764 m), which is popular with tourists. It is connected with the capital of the country by ferry and air routes.
- Toshima is a volcanic landmass in Tokyo Prefecture with 304 inhabitants. The territory of the island is 4.1 km2. Specific forests grow on 80% of the land, which are colored red during flowering. The village of the same name is the local government of Toshima.
The fishing and tourism industries are developed here, as well as there are farms.
The Ryukyu Islands
On the world map there are Japanese islands included in the group (98 pieces). under the name Ryukyu:
Okinawa has an area of 1207 km2, and takes the 5th place in size after 4 land areas. In the north, a low-mountain massif of a volcanic type extends, the area is wooded and has a dense river network. Acerola is cultivated in the agricultural industry.
Limestone mining for cement production is developed. The southern edge of Okinawa consists of limestone rocks and is predominantly flat. Climatic conditions are typical for a moderately humid subtropical zone. In summer, the temperature regime reaches 32-330C, and typhoons often occur.
the winter is warm - the temperature never falls below 90C. The martial art of Okinawa-te, which is the founder of many styles of karate, originated in Okinawa.
Sakishima consists of an island group in the western Pacific Ocean, which in turn are divided into 3 subgroups (Miyako, Yaeyama, Senkaku). The islands stretch in a chain about 280 km long and extend over an area of 817 km2. The population of Sakishima is 108 thousand people.
These lands are contested for sovereignty by the PRC.
Borodino - consists of 3 islands (Kita-Daito, Oki-Daito and Minami-Daito) on which about 2.1 thousand people live. It got its name thanks to the Russian navigator, who sailed past on the ship "Borodino". The first settlements arose at the end of the 19th century. Here flourishes the fishing industry and a distillery producing rum.
The islands of the Pacific Ocean
in the Pacific Ocean are the Japanese Islands, the most basic ones:
Bonin (Nampo) - The island group of 40 islets, which is divided into several subgroups: Mukodzima, Hahadzima, Titidzima and others. According to different information, their area is 84-104 km2. For these territories, active volcanism is characterized.
The climatic zone of Bonin is noted as oceanic subtropical. Now there are about 2.4 thousand people.
Cadzan consists of 3 land plots (IOT, Northern and South IOTO) and looks like an arc formed from extinct volcanoes. The Japanese army is based on IOTO, about 400 people. The remaining 2 islands are deserted.
Okinotori - consisting of 3 small islands and refers to coral atales. Their cumulative size is 8.5 km2, and the territory that reef occupies is 7.8 km2.
Min grazing is an isolated land plot with an area of 1.2 km2. It is the easternmost point of the state and a strategic object, because it gives Japan's right to qualify for 428 thousand km2in coastal waters. In 2012, Japanese scientists have discovered the deposits of rare-earth metals in the island zone, rated together with yttrium at 6.8 million tons.
Such a quantity is enough for the needs of Japan 200 years ahead.
Islands in Lakes
Islands in Lakes:
- O. Tibuukushima is on The largest lake Bival. The coastal length is 2 km, and the area is expressed 0.14 km2. It is formed mainly from granite rocks. In the Middle Ages on this section of the sushi, sent uncompressed filed.
- O. Dedzim was created by artificially in Nagasaki Bay. Initially, it was equipped with a warehouse of Portuguese merchants, and at a later time he served as a shopping Dutch port.
- Odaiba - Artificial land of sushi in the Tokyo Strait, which was intended to accommodate military fortifications. In the post-war period, port buildings and warehouses were built here.
At the moment, offices and shopping centers are tested on this land, and the railway station is opened.
Japanese islands on the world map suggest belonging to several land plots, which after the Second World War are transmitted to Russia. This issue is debatable, because Japan claims that they are occupied without legal justification, and the Russian Federation believes that sovereignty over this territory is legal and does not recognize the existence of a dispute.
South Island Kuriles:
Iturup. The area occupies 3.2 thousand km2. It is dominated by mountains and volcanic massifs. There are many waterfalls and lakes here. The population is about 6.5 thousand people. In 2014, an airport was built in Kurilsk. The climate is classified as maritime temperate. Summers are cool and humid.
August is considered the warmest with an average daily temperature of + 140C. The winter is mild, with a lot of snowfalls and thaws.
Kunashir. It has an area of 1.5 thousand km2. It is characterized by the growth of dark coniferous forests, black soils and the presence of several volcanoes, among which Tyat with its slag gloomy appearance. There are many small rivers and there is Lake Ponto.
In the 80s, a reserve with rare species of animals was founded. Climatic conditions are moderately humid. There are about 8 thousand people on the island. Communication with the mainland is carried out by air and by boat.
The main activity is fishing.
Shikotan. The area, according to various sources, ranges from 182 to 253 km2. It has a single geological platform. The relief is expressed by a dense accumulation of low-mountain massifs and hills. The volcanoes here are extinct, but there is a threat of a tsunami. The climate is classified as temperate maritime.
In one of the warmest months, in August, the average temperature reaches + 16.40C. It is cool in summer, and there is a lot of snowfall in winter. Currently, about 2.8 thousand inhabitants live here. There is a large-scale fish cannery and a port on Shikotan.
Habomai consists of a group of islands. The straits between the lands are occupied by underwater reefs and are shallow, which makes them not safe for sailors. Many land areas are low-lying with occasional swampy terrain and bushy wilds. A humid maritime climate with mild winters and cold summers is typical here.
There are only border guards on Habomai.
Beach and bathing season
The climate of the Land of the Rising Sun is moderate, with a clear distinction between seasons and rainy seasons. Vacationers begin to visit the beaches in the third decade of May, when the atmosphere warms up to +250 C. Scorching heat appears in Japanese resorts in the middle of summer and continues until early September.
The beach season begins here at the same time as the wet season, and June is called the “plum rain” period by the locals.
The optimal time for swimming and beach recreation is the time period from the last days of August to the second decade of October, when the thermometers show the air temperature +270C, and the water warms up to 240S.
Beach resorts of Japan
The climate of the state varies from low temperatures in the north to subtropics from the southern edge. The weather is also determined by seasonal winds blowing from the mainland in the cold season, and in the opposite direction in the summer.
Japan is divided into 6 climatic bands:
- Hokkaido has long winters and cool summers and it is considered a region of low temperatures.
- The Sea of Japan is characterized by heavy snowfalls in the winter season, and when it is warm, extremely high temperature micro-regimes sometimes occur.
- The central highland is dominated by a typical island microclimate with large temperature differences both at different times of the year and during the day.
- In the Inland Sea area, weather conditions are moderate, thanks to the nearby wind-blocking mountains.
- The Pacific experiences severe winters with occasional snowfalls, and summers are humid and hot.
- The islands in the south and west of the continent are characterized by subtropics. It is warm here in winter, and quite hot in summer. The amount of precipitation is high, which leads to a rainy season and the appearance of typhoons.
The best resorts in Japan:
Okinawa Island is suitable for diving tourists. In this area, the Kuroshio current runs, which diversifies the world of underwater habitats. The swimming season lasts from May to October.
Kamakura. It is popular because it is close to Tokyo. There are Buddhist shrines, excellent beaches and a picturesque landscape. Due to the mild climate, it is suitable for a beach holiday at any time of the year. The metropolis is surrounded by wooded mountains from 3 sides.
There is a man-made Shigaya Beach in Miyazaki. Sun and water baths are taken there from May to November. Beach treatments can be combined with hot spring therapy (onsen).
The coastline of Sirahama is characterized by white quartz sand brought from Australia. The resort area is picturesque and landscaped.
A large number of the Japanese islands, which are easy to find on the world map, form an archipelago. If you want to plunge into the mysteries of oriental culture and feel the rhythm of modern megacities, you should visit this strikingly original and charming island nation.
Article design: E. Chaykina
A useful video clip about the Japanese islands
The video will tell you what time of the year is better total visit Japan: