- Holy Assumption Pochaev Lavra today
- Architecture, exterior decoration, architectural ensemble
- Construction history
- Interior decoration
- Shrines and relics
- Clergy, mentors
- Social work, everyday life
- Sunday school
- Patronal holidays
- Opening hours for visitors
- Interesting facts
- Where is it located, what is in the vicinity, how to get there
- Video about the Pochaev Holy Dormition Lavra
The Holy Dormition Pochaev Lavra is a place where not only the brethren who labor there find peace of mind, but also hundreds of thousands of pilgrims who come here every year. It is rightfully considered one of the three most beautiful monasteries in Eastern Europe.
The Holy Dormition Pochaev Lavra today
This holy place, designed to strengthen Christians in the faith on the path of salvation, is known to all Orthodox. In the religious world, the Pochaev Lavra is singled out among the five Orthodox monasteries that have been given the status of a Lavra. Here, hundreds of sick people are healed every day and thousands of pilgrims are spiritually strengthened in the faith.
The spiritual power of the monastery is evidenced by the fact that the Queen of Heaven herself accepted it under her protection, denoting her special favor with the imprint of her foot on Pochaev Hill. Where the Mother of the Most Holy Theotokos left her mark, a spring clogged, healing the sick to this day.
The monastery is the center of culture, tourism and pilgrimage of these places. During the year, about 2 million Orthodox Christians flock here, suffering to touch the shrine and receive purification.
Architecture, exterior decoration, architectural ensemble
Sparkling with golden domes, the Pochaev Lavra impresses with its grandeur and monumentality. Since it is located on a mountain, the shrine can be seen from afar.
The architectural ensemble of the Lavra is represented by several temples:
- The Assumption Cathedral is the main temple, where the Miraculous icon and the holy foot of the Virgin are kept.
- Trinity Cathedral.
- The Temple of Job of Pochaev is the keeper of miraculous relics.
- Cathedral of the Transfiguration.
The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a late Baroque building. Striking with its power and unique beauty, the cathedral stands on a hill. A large terrace with a fence around it allows you to admire the panorama of the city from this place. The gilded domes of the Assumption Cathedral seem to reach for the sky and go into its unknown blue.
The majesty of the cathedral and its beautiful architecture was appreciated by the Russian emperor Nicholas I, who visited Pochaev in 1842, calling it "a work of daring architecture."
The Trinity Cathedral was built according to the project of the architect Shchusev in the image and likeness of the Trinity-Sergius Lavra Cathedral of the same name. The cathedral is designed in the style of ancient Russian architecture and icon painting. The southern facade of the Trinity Cathedral is decorated with mosaic panels based on sketches by Nicholas Roerich.
In the rock under the Holy Assumption Church, the Cave Church of St. Job is hidden from human eyes.
To get there, one has to overcome a lot of steep stairs and a gallery corridor, painted with faces of saints of Russia. The temple is small, on its left side is the entrance to the imperishable relics of Job and Amphilochius, resting in the grotto. The walls of the grotto are painted with episodes of the earthly life of St. Job of Pochaev. Nearby is a small cave, where Saint Job offered up his tireless prayers to God.
The Cathedral of the Transfiguration was erected in 2013. In terms of size and architectural grandeur, it is not inferior to the Holy Dormition. Although visually it seems that it is much smaller, apparently due to the fact that it is geographically located below Uspensky.
The grandeur and beauty of the architectural ensemble of the Holy Dormition Pochaev Lavra is complemented by a four-storey Lavra bell tower. The first floor has a cruciform shape, the other three are quadrangular. The pediments on the south and north sides are decorated with columns. Above the entrance door of the bell tower is the Pochaev Icon of the Mother of God.
25 bells, located on the 3rd tier, overshadow the holy monastery with their chimes. Their melodic ringing goes far beyond the boundaries of the Lavra and invites pilgrims to the shrines. The Pochaev Holy Assumption Lavra, in addition to 4 cathedrals, has on its territory a skete of the Holy Spirit - the place where the second appearance of the Mother of God was witnessed.
The territory of the skete is small. There is a two-tiered church, a well-groomed monastery garden, a hundred-meter well with healing water, a miraculous worship cross of St. Nikita the Stylite. It is noteworthy that the painting of the skete church is identical to the frescoes of the Dormition Cathedral of the Lavra.
History of construction
The history of construction of the monastery goes back to the XII century. According to legend, the monks of the Kiev-Pechora Lavra, who fled from the Tatar invasion to the Volyn lands, saw on the mountain the Mother of God appearing in a pillar of fire with a crown on her head and a scepter in her right hand. Touching it to the stone, she left a footprint, exuding streams of healing moisture.
For many years, the monks, having founded a monastic skete on that place, lived in a mountain cave near the holy place and erected their prayers to the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ and his Mother of the Most Holy Theotokos. The great miracle attracted crowds of believers here.
Later, a wooden church was erected on the site of the cave. Today there remains a chapel in honor of St. Job. It was at his insistence that the stone Assumption Church was erected on the site of the church, which marked the beginning of the construction of an Orthodox monastery, the founder of which is rightfully considered the Monk Job of Pochaev.
The first information about the monastery dates back to 1527. Following the Assumption, they built the Holy Trinity Church. The monastery was surrounded by a solid stone wall, cells were built for the brethren, household structures were built, and then a monastery printing house, a small factory for making candles.
The local landowner Anna Goyskaya constantly provided all possible assistance to the monastery. And in 1597, having bequeathed considerable land to the monastery, she donated to the monks an icon with the face of the Queen of Heaven, which revealed its miraculous power to the Orthodox.
An interesting fact! While traveling through the Volyn lands, the Greek Metropolitan Neophyte stopped to rest at the estate of the pious and hospitable Anna Goiska. In gratitude for the warm welcome, the guest made a generous gift to the hostess - an icon of the Most Holy Theotokos.
Soon Philip, Anna's brother, blind from birth, received healing from the icon. Later, many facts of healing through prayers to a miraculous image were witnessed. In 1713, a thorough construction of a stone monastery began.
Pochaev Holy Dormition Lavra impresses with the magnificence of the interior decoration. Along with the aesthetic component, the design of the temple has a certain symbolic meaning. In the center of each of them is an eight-pointed cross, similar to the one on which the Savior was crucified.
The iconostasis strikes with its power and spiritual content, strengthening believers that we are not alone on the path of salvation, since the holy ascetics pray with us for all of humanity. The richly decorated royal doors create a sense of the presence of Christ behind their doors.
In addition to the general details of the interior decoration, each temple has its own unique features, its own “highlights”:
- The murals and icons of the Assumption Church represent the historical moments of monastic life. The iconostasis is called the Tsar's, because in memory of the time spent in the Lavra, it was donated by Emperor Alexander II. Above the Royal Doors of the temple is the Pochaev Icon of the Mother of God, mounted on ribbons and dressed in a star-shaped kiot. Every day at the morning liturgy, the icon is lowered to the level of human growth, giving the worshipers the opportunity to venerate the shrine.
- A distinctive feature of the Trinity Cathedral are numerous unusually amazing crosses on its walls. Wall paintings with their beauty attract the eyes of visitors. The back wall of the temple presents a picture of the Last Judgment and leads the pilgrims to think about the correctness of being, since their eyes, upon leaving, involuntarily rush to the images of hellish torments and heavenly bliss. The chandelier has been preserved since the time of Nicholas II. It was donated by the emperor to this particular temple.
- The gallery corridor of the cave church of St. Job is painted with faces of saints of Russia. In the wall paintings, you can trace all the events of the Holy Week of the life of Christ, described in the Gospel. And the fresco depicting the crucified Savior is a true miracle. When, trying to visually capture the image in full, you move from one side of the temple to the other, it seems that Christ is seeing you off with a look full of suffering and love. And for those passing along the corridor, a feeling of trembling repentance is created.
Shrines and relics
Great shrines are kept in the Lavra, which pilgrims from all over the Earth come to worship:
- Footprint of the Mother of God. A healing spring gushed from it. During the construction over the source of the temple, a hole was left in the floor on a stone with a holy trace, and above it - an ark, giving pilgrims the opportunity to contemplate the shrine. But, due to the infirmity of the Orthodox who come to the monastery for healing, it was difficult for many to kiss the floor. Then, on top of the ark, they put an image of a foot embroidered not on silk, which did not lose its healing properties.
- The miraculous icon of the Most Holy Theotokos, called Pochaevskaya. It was painted with oil paints on an ordinary linden board. Initially, it was covered with a thin layer of silver, which disappeared over time, and the image was decorated with small pearls. Many miracles have been witnessed from the holy image in getting rid of serious, incurable diseases, instructing the lost on the true path. From the face of the Intercessor comes healing from the disease of bodily and spiritual blindness.
- Holy incorruptible relics of St. Job and Amphilochius. You can touch them in the Holy Trinity Church of the monastery. If you approach the shrine with a sense of deep faith, you can get help and healing.
The greatness of a monastery depends not only on its outward magnificence, but also on the brethren who labor in the monastery. The Lord called them to this holy place for the salvation of souls and for prayerful petition for the intercession of the suffering. We, who live in the world, do not understand the special feat of their faith.
Constituting the spiritual strength of the monastery, in their daily work they protect Orthodox Christians from evil and strengthen them in their faith with their daily prayers. The monastery is managed by the abbot, Archbishop Vladimir (Moroz) of Pochaev. The Reverend monitors the measured routine of Lavra life, the fulfillment of obediences by the monks.
The sacristan controls the order of worship, providing the monastery with everything necessary. The steward sees to it that the services are held according to the prescribed charter. The treasurer is in charge of the financial component. The regent leads the choir. The fraternal confessor assists the monks in their spiritual life, accepts confessions. Monks carry out various obediences.
Social work, everyday life
The main indicator in the life of any monastery is the increase in the number of brethren. If at the end of the last century several dozen monks labored in the Lavra, now their number has grown to two hundred. Almost half of them are in the priestly or diaconal rank.
The monastery successfully carries out spiritual, cultural and social activities. Orthodox festivals and concerts, fairs and exhibitions are held here regularly. In addition, on the territory of the Lavra there is the Kiev Theological School, Orthodox catechism courses.
An integral part of the spiritual life of the Pochaev Lavra is the activity of the Sunday school, which was formed on the principle of a family school. School classes contribute to churching and the formation of a Christian way of life, not only for children, but also for their parents.
Much attention is paid to the development of visual inclinations and creative self-expression of children, but with a bias towards Orthodoxy. Children's works can be seen at exhibitions dedicated to this or that Orthodox holiday; they decorate the walls of the Sunday School class. School classes help children to see life in all its manifestations through the prism of faith.
The main feast of the Lavra is the day of the Pochaev Icon of the Mother of Jesus Christ, Christ-loving children of the Orthodox Church celebrate on August 5. From all the ends of the Earth on this day, the people flowed into the laurel. For 400 years already, the miraculous icon helps believers.
On November 10, the Uspenskaya Pochaevskaya Laurea honors the memory of the founder, Rev. Iova. On this day, a procession and general prayer is committed.
Mode of operation for visitors
Pocheevskaya Svyato-Assumption Lavra is open to visit from 6 am to 9 pm. Detailed schedule of all worship services can be found on the official website.
Among the many interesting facts and wonderful healings, we remember only a small span of them:
- there is a very mysterious place in the laurel. This is a cave, in which once lived and raised his prayers to the Lord Rev. Job. It is impossible to enter it, you can only crawl. But not everyone may do it. The same, who managed to get into a nasty place, will definitely believe in the existence of the afterlime world: slippery from moisture walls, darkness, the closest thing is that neither sit down, no lie down, a sharp feeling of closetness and isolation from the whole world. And the Holy Job conducted in these conditions not only whole days, and sometimes the week. From constant standing on his knees, his legs were covered with non-healing ulcers, traces of which are preserved and on non-reheards. But this did not stop Job in his desire to pray that the welfare of the world in the evil underlying. "
- The negative attitude of Stalin to the Church is known to everyone. However, according to legend, he changed him after the wonderful healing of his daughter Svetlana by the Pochaevsky older amphilochem. And Joseph Vissarionovich, and Svetlana were grateful to the old man. After the death of Father Svetlana Allilueva decided to leave the border and decided to take the amphylochea, who was threatened by Soviet repression. But the elder did not accept the invitation and, despite the fact that tickets were already acquired, remained in the laurel.
- Near the main icon of the monastery still stand crutches. They left the person struck by a cerebral palsy. Having arrived in the hour with the hope of healing and approaching the icon of the Virgin, he heard her voice calling for quotes and to go on his own. The patient came out of the temple healthy, and since then he walks through the holy places, tells everything about the miracle that happened to him and glorifies the Mother of the Most of the Mother of God.
Where is that in the vicinity, how to get
Pocheevskaya Svyato-Assumption Lavra is a major temple complex and a male monastery, located in the western part of Ukraine. Eased on a high mountain and surrounded from 3d sides with a new hour, it rises above the entire district almost 80 km. You can get railway and road transport.
On any train from Kiev to Lviv or Uzhgorod, leaving at the station Radivilov, transfer to the route taxi to Pocheeva. From the Kiev railway station to Lavra Pilgrimnikov by bus service "Traveler", on the site of which you can see the schedule of transportation. Route Kiev - Pochaevskaya Lava.
According to the legend, everyone who had a chance to visit the Holy Assumption Powered Lavra, forgotten forgotten and non-profetened sins. Maybe therefore, in the hope of cleansing the soul and strengthening bodily health, they go to this holy place hundreds of thousands of pilgrims from around the world.
Registration of Articles: Lozinsky Oleg
Video about Pochaevsky Holy Assumption Lavra
Holy Assumption Pochaevskaya Lavra - Symbol of Faith: