The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie is located in Milan (Italy) and assigned to one of the Dominican monasteries. Often it is called the most beautiful church of the Renaissance. One of its attractions is the Last Supper wall painting by Leonardo da Vinci.
The building was built in the 15th century. The reason for the construction was that in the middle of the 15th century, the count-philanthropist gave the monastic order a plot of land. Subsequently, the church of Santa Maria Delle Grazie was built on it. Construction work began in 1469.
Shortly before the completion of construction, the Duke of Sforza made a proposal to make his own tomb out of the temple. To translate this idea into reality, they used the services of the architect Donato Bramante.
The well-known architect is also the author of the idea of building a patio. Usually the courtyards of that era were considered gloomy and closed, and the courtyard in front of the small church was bright, spacious and had a small pool.
Although the duke lost his influence, building and finishing work did not stop. The court of the Inquisition was located in the building, which made it possible to speed up the work on painting the church. Masters painted ceilings and walls with biblical motifs. Repairs continued until the end of the 17th century. At the end of the last century, the temple complex was included in the World Heritage List.
Architecture and appearance
Santa Maria Delle Grazie belongs to the late Gothic and Renaissance period. The standout part of the building is the tribune. The author of the idea of creating this part of the church is Bramante. The extension to the building has the shape of a cube and large dimensions.
From 3 sides it is framed by apses. A small three-level tower with a lantern rises above the podium. A dome is built under the almost flat cover of the tower, which can be seen in full only once inside the church.
The nave and aisles of the Italian church belong to late Gothic architecture. This is confirmed by arched vaults decorated with frescoes. At the same time, the altar, built in the Renaissance style, is almost undecorated and stands out from the rest of the church. To date, all the paintings of the inner premises of the Church are preserved.
The hull of the monastery form the courtyard, to one of the sides of which the wall of the basilica joins. The courtyard is covered with greens, in his center there is a small fountain with frogs. Directly from the janitor, you can go to the church rhiznitz, in which paintings are stored with biblical plots, utensils and furniture necessary for worship services.
2 styles are traced in the inner decoration of the church: Gothic and Renaissance. Solari is the author of the arches and a chapel at the side walls. Bramteh also worked in the Renaissance style, he was engaged in the creation of a draft tribune, refectory, courtyard and apse.
The walls of the old church are decorated with frescoes of Italian artists, the inner surface of the dome decorate engravings. So, the master of Lombardy, Gaudenzo Ferrari, became the author of several frescoes dedicated to the life of Jesus Christ).
The internal decoration of the basilica is distinguished by the abundance of light tones and a small decor. The main part of the jewelry is concentrated in the openings of the Arch and in the upper tiers. The abundance of windows allows the daylight to fall into all the premises of the building and evenly illumine them.
Santa Maria Delle Grazie has 14 drops, which are decorated with images, sarcophagi, sculptures and old frescoes. According to the plan of the creators of the Church, the sarcophages of Milan aristocrats were supposed to be found in these chaplaes.
Main attraction and the shrine of the church - Fresca Last Supper, the author of which is Leonardo da Vinci. Wall painting is located in the monastery meadow. The size of the main temple value is about 500 per 900 cm. Da Vinci worked on it for 3 years - from 1495 to 1498 years. Fresco is an image of the last meal of Christ and his students.
According to the plans, Da Vinci, the monks and all visitors of the monastery should have the feeling that Jesus with students are on the meal along with the visitor to the meadow. Figures on the wall are presented in full growth.
Despite the fact that the fresco has been restored many times, but it did not improve its appearance. The reason for this was that the wall for the painting was constantly refused. After that, numerous layers of paint removed, and now all tourists can see the initial type of frescoes.
On the other opposite from the famous fresco of Leonardo da Vinci side, a crucifix was located, the author of which is Montorfano. 2 frescoes written on the walls of the monastic church are connected by quotes about the life of the monks.
Interesting facts and legends
Several interesting facts are connected with Santa Maria Delle Grazie:
- When creating the world famous fresco by Leonardo da Vinci, was looking for a model with which to paint the image of Judas on a fresco. As a result, the abbot of the monastery, with whom the painter often clashed, became the real prototype. The images of the rest of the figures shown in the fresco were copied from the visitors of the monastery and ordinary city dwellers.
- Santa Maria delle Grazie was bombed during World War II. However, miraculously, the bombs that hit the neighboring walls almost did not affect the fresco of the great painter.
- Currently, before viewing the fresco, all visitors are required to go through a machine that removes all particles of dust and dirt from clothing. Doing this is very important, as this procedure helps to cause less damage to the Da Vinci fresco.
- Leonardo da Vinci became the author of not only frescoes, but also images of Sforza with his wife. The image of the couple is on the medallion above the gate. By this, he immortalized the family on a famous architectural monument.
- The light and small inner courtyard of the church has a little secret. If you go through a small gallery to the sacristy, you can find a secret underground passage connecting the church premises and the castle, which belongs to the Duke of Sforza.
Opening hours and schedule of worship services
Santa Maria Delle Grazie is the venue for worship, including the Holy Mass (an analogue in Orthodoxy is the Divine Liturgy). There are also Liturgies of the Hours and confessions.
The building is also open for sightseeing. But it should be remembered that during the Mass it is impossible to visit the church as a tourist.
|Event||Hours of operation|
|) Holy Mass||Weekdays: 7:30, 8:30, 12:30, 18:30|
Holidays (Sunday): 8:00, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 18:30, 20:00
|Sightseeing||Weekdays: 9:00 – 12:20, 15:30 – 17:50|
Holidays (Sunday): 16:00 - 17:50
|Confessions||Weekdays: 9:30 - 12:00, 16:00 - 18:30|
Feasts (Sunday): 9:00 - 12:00, 17:30 - 20:30
|Liturgy of the Hours||Praises: Monday - Saturday at 7:05; Sundays and public holidays at 8:45.|
Vespers reading: Monday - Friday at 19:00; Saturdays and pre-holiday days from 19.15 to Sunday at 18.00.
Liturgy of the Hours: Rosary Monday to Friday at 18:00, Lent on Fridays at 17:30.
Rosary Meditations: October from Monday to Friday at 17:30.
Eucharistic worships: each 1 Friday of the month at 17:30.
The refectory with the frescoes of Leonardo is considered part of the Italian Museum, so the hours of her work differ from the work hours of the temple. So, from Tuesday and until Saturday, you can see the attraction from 9:00 to 19:00. On Sunday, the refectory is open from 9:00 to 13:45.
To avoid problems when visiting the Church, it is best to book tickets in advance for a hike to the museum with the fresco of Leonardo da Vinci. If this is not done, there may be difficulties with the purchase of tickets. In addition, excursions are held every 15 minutes. This is done in order to avoid the abundance of people in the room and allow everyone as inadequimate the world-famous masterpiece of painter as much as possible.
The church is located in Milan, on Juseppe Antonio Sassi Street, D.3. The owners of the church have a telephone: 02 467 6111 and email. The entrance to the church is free, at the same time for visiting the refectory, in which the masterpiece da Vinci is represented, you must pay several euros. Visiting the refectory is paid because it is considered part of the Italian Museum.
A feature of the visits is that in the church itself it is impossible to purchase tickets for visiting the church. Tickets are booked on the official website of Basilica. [99! An further reference point is the pointer called the Last Supper. Focusing on this pointer, you must follow the street of Corso Majer to the Church.
You can get to the Milan Church from the Central Station. To do this, you should use the MM2 branch, passing 5 stops on it. You can also walk to the church from Duomo. Using tram No. 18, you can drive directly to the church itself, going at the stop, which has the same name as the church - Santa Maria Delle Grazie.
Where to stay
Since the tourist attraction is located in Milan, almost in the city center, near the church there are many hotels with different levels of service and the number of stars. Each traveler will be able to find the suitable hotel for him.
izh presents several hotels located in close proximity to the church.
- Appartamento Santa Maria Delle Grazie is 100 meters from the Milane Church. Address - Street Giuseppe Antonio Sassi, 2. The premises are provided with air conditioning, a bedroom, a flat-screen TV and a kitchen. Also, all guests will be provided with towels and bed linen. The hotel has many positive reviews from visitors.
- Milan Royal Suites - Centro Cadorna is also located close to the temple. The hotel is distinguished by the fact that travelers with animals can be accommodated in it. A kitchen is open on site, it is possible to use a washing machine and free internet. According to visitors, the level of service here is very high.
- Hotel Palazzo Delle Steline is located across the street from the Church of Santa Maria Delle Grazie. Address - Corso Magenta According to the guests, the hotel is located in a good location, within walking distance from museums and other Italian attractions. An important difference is that there is an ATM on the territory of the hotel, which is equipped with a cash withdrawal function. The rooms can accommodate both 2 and 1 people. Prices per room do not exceed 15,000 rubles. The most expensive room here is the suite, which is equipped with a bathroom, flat-screen TV, minibar, free internet, air conditioning and a large double bed. It also includes a work desk, telephone, wardrobe and wardrobe.
- Not far from the previous hotel, another one was opened - Antica Locanda Leonardo. At 100 meters from it is a church with a fresco by Leonardo da Vinci. It is noteworthy that the hotel is located in the building of an old city mansion of the 19th century. Guests of the hotel can spend time in the courtyard and in the small bar. A buffet is served daily. The rooms are decorated in both antique and modern style, and some of them have a balcony. For more convenient movement around the hotel, an elevator has been built, and you can leave your car in the parking lot. Prices for 1 night do not exceed 11.000 rubles.
- ALTIDO Contemporary 1BR apt near Santa Maria delle Grazie is 100 meters from the temple. Address - Corso Magenta 78. In addition to the church, you can visit other tourist sites, so according to tourists, this hotel is very popular among tourists. The apartments are equipped with a flat-screen TV and a washing machine. Guests also have access to a bathroom and a kitchen with a dishwasher and microwave. All guests staying here will be provided with towels and bed linen. The price for 2 - 3 nights in the apartment will be 43 - 60.000 rubles.
- Luxury Apartment - Boccacio Blue is located 400 meters from the Milanese church. The rooms are equipped with air conditioning, internet, flat-screen TV. From the windows you can observe local sights. The apartments have a kitchen with a microwave and dishwasher. If necessary, guests can take advantage of the washing machine and the bathroom. Towels and bed linen are provided to all guests. You can settle here with animals. This hotel is considered more budget, since the price for 1 night is no more than 20,000 rubles.
- In the immediate vicinity of Santa Maria Delle Grazie (500 m) guests adopt Monti Apartments. Guests can stay in 2 bedrooms, cook food in the kitchen with oven and stove. Guests have the opportunity to take advantage of a towel and linen. The hotel's facilities include heating and air conditioning.
- An 800 meters from the Temple with the frescoes are located Number House - Number Apartment is located in the bedroom, which also has a TV, food can be prepared in the kitchen with a dishwasher and microwave. If you need, you can wash things in a washing machine and take a shower in the bathroom. For a small fee can be provided with towels and bed linen. Free Internet is available throughout the property and a fitness center is operating. For 2 nights in this room, travelers must pay about 55.000 rubles.
- Milan Retreats Cadorna Duomo are also considered fairly popular apartments. They are located 400 meters away from the fedender of the Last evening and have the address of Piazzale Cadorna, there is a flat-screen TV, a living room with a sofa and a kitchen equipped with a dining table. You can use a bathtub, hairdryer and toiletries. You can make food or warm it in a microwave oven. The car can be left in private parking at the apartments.
- Apartments Casa Mimi are also located near the church with Leonardo's fresco. Guests have the opportunity to make use of free wireless internet and washing machine. If you check in the room with a balcony, you can get a review on the city. All rooms have air conditioning, bathroom. You can cook in the kitchen with a kettle and dishwasher. Hotel guests can get towels and bed linen. According to tourists, these apartments are distinguished by a high level of service. For 1 night guests are obliged to pay at least 19,000 rubles.
Santa Maria Delle Grazie is the main Dominican Church in Milan. First of all, this place is famous for the fact that one of the walls of the monastery refectory painted Leonardo da Vinci. The name of the painting is a secret bulk. This attraction can be visited and currently booking tickets in advance.
Video about the church
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan and Leonardo's Last Supper: